Five Secrets Your Trainer Won’t Tell You


It’s no surprise that us trainers don’t always practice what we preach. But you may be shocked to learn how far off the rails we fall. In fact, I’ve had first-hand experience at it, and I’m not ashamed to tell you what other trainers won’t.

We crash-diet. I’ve seen experts dehydrate themselves a week before they tape a fitness video, so that their muscles pop and they look less bloated. I’ve never purposely dehydrated my body, but I have restricted my diet to lean meats, beans, and broccoli for a week to drop weight. The better route is to use the 80/20 rule. Practice smart eating habits 80 percent of the time. Then, you can splurge on pizza or chocolate the remaining 20 percent.

We work with old credentials. Fitness certifications need to be updated, and some experts may not stay on top of every single one. Why? They’re expensive, time-consuming, and many clients don’t ask! Check to see if your trainer in continuing his or her education and keeping up with the most current research.

We act like food authorities. Sure, fitness and nutrition are interconnected, but some trainers devise customized eating plans for their clients without consulting a registered dietician. Before you make any drastic changes, make sure you and your trainer work with an R.D. to get comprehensive, expert guidance.

We experiment on you. Just as a chef tests different ingredients to create the perfect recipe, trainers often try several techniques and methods on clients, until we discover what works best. And how would you know that you’re the guinea pig? You don’t! Trust that your pro has your best interest in mind and he or she won’t allow you get injured. However, if you feel uncomfortable, say something. It’s your money!

We lead you on. When it comes to weight-loss, most people have an image in their heads of how they want to look. But even with consistent training and dieting, some bodies will just not shape up to that desired ideal, due to genetics or hormonal factors. Some trainers aren’t completely forthcoming with their clients about that. Instead, he or she should try to adjust your expectations. Your goal should be to achieve the best body possible for you.

Andrea Metcalf is a FitStudio sponsored writer
Tags: ConfidenceDietExerciseMotivationWeight Loss

One Comment

  1. Spot on with this write-up, I genuinely believe this internet site wants much more consideration. I’ll probably be once more to read a lot more, thanks for that info.

    jordans for sale